Threats range from scams and malware that reach us through our mobile devices, to loss or theft of those devices, which cost us money or put our information at risk of unauthorised and unwelcome access. While you can buy another device, it can take a lot of time and frustration to recover when someone has misused the personal information or applications that were on the mobile device.
You should take the same precautions with your mobile devices that you have become accustomed to taking with your personal computer.
Sensible steps to minimize the Risks include:
• Remember to use one or more of the secure lock features available on your mobile devices.
• Consider the use of Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware Software on your mobile device as you would on a PC. Also ensure any updates/patches have been installed.
• Be aware of and understand the privacy settings on your mobile devices. Ensure you do not inadvertently allow access to your personal and contact information.
• Use security features on your mobile device such as encryption to further secure your device.
• Know what you’re connecting to! Don’t connect to networks that you don’t recognize or aren’t 100% sure of.
• Be careful where you purchase/download new “apps.” Sticking to reputable sources will help to ensure that you are not receiving any unwanted and malicious software hidden within the application that you are purchasing.
• As you do with email, adopt the same caution when receiving and acting upon any unfamiliar messages.
• Keep the amount of confidential information stored on your laptop or other mobile device to the minimum you require.
• Never leave a mobile device unattended in a public place.
• Keep your mobile devices with you. If it’s necessary to leave a mobile device, ensure this is stored in a secure location.
If you have any other tips or suggestions to help keep the data on mobile devices secure please drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Member since: 9th July 2012
Hello and welcome to thebestof Jersey blog, I hope that both locals and visitors to the island will become involved. Please let us know about local businesses that go that extra mile and about things...