It’s been a worldwide trend for a few years now for Yellow Pages type printed directories to be in a downward spiral. Fewer people are using them and fewer businesses are prepared to pay significant fees to appear in them.
Now even Jersey Telecom accept that fewer people are using their Directory and have reduced the number printed in 2011 by 8,000. I wonder if they reduced the fees charged to Yellow Page advertisers to reflect the decrease in the print run??
Some examples of the way things are going:
1) In a conference in Seattle in 2007 Mircosoft’s Bill Gates expressed the view that in the US “ Yellow Page usage amongst people in their, say below 50, will drop to near zero over the next five years."
2) In Australia, a poll in 2010 found that, ‘The number of people who use the Yellow Pages print directory less than once a month or don’t use it all has increased by 61% between 2002 and 2009’
3) In the UK in February this year, Yell (which offers both on-line and printed directories) reported an acceleration in the fall of its core revenue stream of print advertising, which accounts for about 75% of total revenues, which was down 18.4% to £936m in the nine months to the end of December. In the three months to the end of December print revenues fell 19.7%, compared with a 17% fall in the previous three months. From this it is clear that increasingly businesses are finding alternatives to old fashioned print advertising.
So the message to businesses that want to be found is:
1) You need to be visible on line but also,
2) You need to be sure that your potential customers will find you when they search for a business that does what you do.
Any excellent local business that wants to increase it’s profile on the internet should contact me for information on how TheBestofJersey could assist them.
Member since: 9th July 2012
Hello and welcome to thebestof Jersey blog, I hope that both locals and visitors to the island will become involved. Please let us know about local businesses that go that extra mile and about things...