What To Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate from Regans Vets
11th December 2014
... Comments

Its that time of year when we all have much more chocolate around the house and this can be fatal for dogs if they eat it. Regans Vets  explains more and how this can be treated.

During the festive season, we all have chocolate treats around the home. Whether thats boxed of chocolates we have been given, advent calendars or tree chocolates and what we forget is that our lovely dogs are so inquisitive...and hungry they will smell the treat and do all they can to indulge.

Of course the main piece of advice here is similar to that around medicine for children...keep it out of reach. Dont be tempted to put tree chocolates on your tree, have your advent calendars well out of reach and no boxes of chocolates lying around. Anyway you will eat far less of them if you have to keep getting up and going into the kitchen for one :-)

So what if it does happen. Your dog ends up eating chocolate. What can you expect and what should you do?

If your dog has eaten chocolate you may see...

Vomiting (may include blood)
Diarrhoea
Restlessness and hyperactivity
Rapid breathing
Muscle tension, incoordination
Increased heart rate
Seizures

if your dog has eaten chocolate or showing any of the signs above and youre just not sure, then you should seek medical attention urgently.

While there is no antidote to your dog eating chocolate, your vet will take steps to treat and may make your dog vomit, wash out the stonach and feed charcoal to absorb the toxins. 

BUT THE ADVICE THAT REGANS VETS CAN NOT STRESS ENOUGH IS PLEASE KEEP CHOCOLATE OUT OF REACH OF YOUR DOGS.

 

More
About the Author

Gaynor R

Member since: 10th July 2012

Hi I am Gaynor Ramsden and am passionate about all things Bolton. I hope you enjoy reading my blogs and find them to be interesting and thought provoking. I would love you to add your personal comments...

Popular Categories