Bolton company BHE Services supports Gas Safety Week
24th July 2012
... Comments

 

Gas Safety Week is being organised by Gas Safe Register, the official list of registered gas engineers in the UK, to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances.

The campaign wants to highlight the fact that badly fitted and poorly serviced appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions as well as carbon monoxide poisoning.

BHE Services (Bolton) Limited, which has been providing gas services to domestic and commercial customers since it started in 1971, will be going into local schools and housing associations before and during Gas Safety Week in order to educate people about gas safety.
Mike Robinson, Managing Director of BHE Services (Bolton) Limited, said: “Every year, about 30 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed or maintained, whilst many others suffer ill health.

“Carbon monoxide has been described as a silent killer because you can’t see it, you can’t taste it, and you can’t even smell it. People are particularly at risk when they are asleep because they cannot recognise the early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.”

He added: “Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include tiredness, drowsiness, headaches, nausea, dizziness, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.
“These symptoms can mimic many common ailments and may easily be confused as flu or simple tiredness.

“If you experience the above symptoms, you should seek urgent medical advice.”

Mike said that people can be at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning if:
• an appliance was poorly installed
• an appliance is not working properly
• an appliance has not been checked for safety or maintained regularly
• there is not enough fresh air in the room, and
• the chimney or flue gets blocked up

He said that signs to look out for include:
• yellow or brown staining around or on appliances
• pilot lights that frequently blow out
• increased condensation inside windows, and
• yellow rather than blue flame (apart from flueless fires)

Mike added: “If you suspect your appliance is leaking carbon monoxide you should switch it off immediately and not reuse it until a Gas Safe registered engineer has checked it.”

He added: “The easiest way to minimise the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning is to have an annual check of your gas appliances - boilers, gas fires, gas cookers - every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer. The cost of a check is nominal and for some people it may simply save their lives.”

For further details, please visit www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk/GasSafetyWeek.

Organisations wishing to have a presentation on gas safety can contact BHE Services (Bolton) Ltd on 01204 450450

For further information about BHE Services (Bolton) Limited please visit www.bhe-services.co.uk

More
About the Author

Gaynor R

Member since: 10th July 2012

Hi I am Gaynor Ramsden and am passionate about all things Bolton. I hope you enjoy reading my blogs and find them to be interesting and thought provoking. I would love you to add your personal comments...

Popular Categories