Every car needs to have its MOT every 12 months if the vehicle is over 3 years old, so to make sure your car passes first time, here are some tips from Whitecroft Garage to help you out.
1) Check your horn. Give it a toot and if it isn’t working correctly, change it.
2) Check when your MOT is due. You can have your car MOT’d up to a month before the previous one runs out.
3) Check brake lights, headlights and indicators. It’s very simple to replace a bulb should it stop working before the test.
4) Check your wash screen reservoir. It should be functioning correctly and filled to the top
5) Check your number plate. It shouldn’t be dirty, be easy to read and the spacing should follow all legal requirements.
6) Check your windscreen wipers. Any holes or rips in them can mean your car fails its MOT test, so keep your windscreen clear and clean.
7) Speaking of windscreens, check them. You should have an unobstructed view, have no chips in it and have no damage. If you’re confused about MOT windscreen damage ask us and we’ll explain it.
8) Check seats and seatbelts. It is crucial that every seat and seatbelt is in superb working order and lock when pulled sharply. Drivers seats should be able to move forwards and backwards.
9) Check the interior of your car. Garages can refuse to take cars if they’re dirty (although we don’t mind a little bit of mud and grime.)
10) Check tyres and wheels. The minimum legal tread depth is 1.6mm and any less then that will mean your car fails its MOT. You should aim to change tyres when the tread depth is 3mm. For advice on the right tyre for your car and to measure the tread depth visit us and we’ll do that for you.
11) Check your mirrors. You should be able to adjust them and be in tip top condition.
12) Finally, read your advisory notes. That way you can keep an eye on what might need looking at throughout the year and refer to them in the future.
Remember Whitecroft Garage will carry out MOT's on every kind of vehicle, with expert mechanics. prices for MOT's start at just £35, so give them a call