Part 11, 10-18 June - Falklands Conflict Recollections 30 Years On By Veteran David Ramsden
4th July 2012
... Comments


Thur 10:Passed through TEZ, embarked Constructor Commander, whose reaction was shock!  

RAS(L) Tidespring – Moved on to Stena Seaspread – work started immediately.


Sun 13:Left Stena Seaspread with all our ships company and Stena’s cheering.

Arrived in TEZ next day.

Stena Seaspread was a North Sea oil rig support ship, sent South to act as a floating maintenance ship and the engineers on-board were certainly being kept busy patching up the damaged Warships. During the time we were alongside her, HMS Glamorgan was also receiving some much needed attention after they were hit by an Exocet Missile.

It must have been a strange sight, a large red North Sea Oil Rig support ship with warships either side of her, steel sheets swinging from cranes and welders doing their thing, returning the ships to some sort of order. 

This period gave us time to gather our thoughts and certainly count our blessings! 

Within three days we were back to something like fighting strength, our Anti-Submarine Mortars were still defective but the 4.5" gun turret, our main armament was still very much operational and as we left Stena Seaspread the mutual respect for each others ships companies was evident as spontaneous cheering broke out on both ships!


Mon 14:1600 Started for Berkley Sound – Army ashore wanted NGS – heard at 1830 Argies had surrendered.  Action stations 2320.

Far from our war being over, patched up, we were sent back into action to direct gun fire onto Stanley as the troops ashore were making their final push to re-take the Islands Capital. We arrived on the ‘gun-line’ late evening and were preparing to open fire when we heard news that white flags were visible in Stanley and the Argentineans had surrendered!

Relief, elation, excitement, pride, all those emotions were felt that night and for the first time in nearly three months we all enjoyed a celebratory drink.


Wed 16:During forenoon we were told we were to go to Stanley and set up as QHM (Queens Harbour Master) for the 18 ships arriving.  

18 knot passage to Stanley in company with RFA Resource.

Again our job was not yet complete, HMS Plymouth was tasked with entering Stanley Harbour to control the movement of the many ships arriving to undertake the mammoth task of removing and transporting the Argentinean prisoners off the Island and resupplying the locals and troops ashore. We remained there for two days before being given permission to ‘go home!’


Fri 18:During the middle we received orders to go home when ready.  

Mon 21:Arrived CVBG 1400.  Captain went to Hermes.

Hung around until 1300 then Glamorgan fired Gun Salute and we departed.

We sailed out to the main group once again so that our Captain could debrief the Admiral and then we left with an emotional close sail past HMS Hermes and a salute to Admiral Woodward. 

Next stop Gibraltar…


Read Part One

Read Part Two

Read Part Three

Read Part Four

Read Part Five

Read Part Six

Read Part Seven

Read Part Eight

Read Part Nine

Read Part 10a

Read Part 10b

Popular Categories