I work from home, do I need to let my insurer know?
15th November 2013
... Comments

This is a frequently asked question to insurers, one that most home workers are unsure about and here in this blog, Jackie Hyde from Stanmore Insurance Brokers answers it for you!

Question: I have a business that operates from my home address and have assumed that my home insurance will protect me. Is this correct?

Answer: You must always inform your home insurers that you operate a business from home. This is important for two reasons which are to discuss with them what they can cover in respect of your business but more importantly it is a material fact that they need to know regarding your home cover. If this doesn't take place and you have a claim the insurer can invalidate your policy for non-disclosure. Some household insurer will extend the policy to provide cover for your business equipment at an additional cost. However, it is unlikely they will cover the liability risks associated with your business particularly if you have employees. You will therefore need to take out separate business cover to protect you and your business in respect of the liability risks, professional indemnity, cash etc.

Stanmore Insurance Brokers have been established in Bolton since 1962 and provide quality insurance for corporate and personal clients. They are always willing to go the extra mile to give 100% service and have over 100 reviews 


About the Author

Faz P

Member since: 10th July 2012

Hi I am Faz and am passionate about all things Bolton. I hope you enjoy reading my blogs and find them to be interesting and thought provoking. I would love you to add your personal comments to them. Dont...

Popular Categories