BHE Services (Bolton) Lend Their Support To Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week
1st November 2012
... Comments

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week in November is a useful reminder to householders to get a safety check of their gas appliances, says Mike Robinson, of BHE Services (Bolton) Limited. 

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week starts on 19th November and is launched by the registered charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness with the aim of raising awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Mike, who is Managing Director of BHE Services (Bolton) Limited, said: “Every year, about 30 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed or maintained, whilst many others suffer ill health. 

“Carbon monoxide has been described as a silent killer because you can’t see it, you can’t taste it, and you can’t even smell it. People are particularly at risk when they are asleep because they cannot recognise the early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.”

“Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include tiredness, drowsiness, headaches, nausea, dizziness, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

“These symptoms can mimic many common ailments and may easily be confused as flu or simple tiredness. 

“If you experience the above symptoms, you should seek urgent medical advice.”

BHE Services (Bolton) Limited, based at Wilkinson House, on Radcliffe Road, is supporting Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week in its aim to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of households taking care of their gas appliances. 

Mike said that people can be at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning if: 

  • an appliance was poorly installed
  • an appliance is not working properly
  • an appliance has not been checked for safety or maintained regularly
  • there is not enough fresh air in the room, and 
  • the chimney or flue gets blocked up

He said that signs to look out for include: 

  • yellow or brown staining around or on appliances
  • pilot lights that frequently blow out
  • increased condensation inside windows, and 
  • yellow rather than blue flame (apart from flueless fires)

Carbon Monoxide Awareness wants to highlight the fact that badly fitted and poorly serviced appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions as well as carbon monoxide poisoning. 

BHE Services (Bolton) Limited, which has been providing gas services to domestic customers since it started in 1971, is trying to educate people about gas safety. 

Mike added: “If you suspect your appliance is leaking carbon monoxide you should switch it off immediately and not reuse it until a Gas Safe registered engineer has checked it.”

“The easiest way to minimise the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning is to have an annual check of your boilers, gas fires, gas cookers - every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer. The cost of a check is nominal and for some people it may simply save their lives.”

“Under the Government's Green Deal initiative, due to be launched in January, householders can get a new boiler for no upfront cost if they want to upgrade their existing old boiler.”

If you would like more information about Carbon monoxide Awareness Week, BHE Services, or the services that they offer, give them a call on 01204 450450, 

Popular Categories