However, there are a few quick tricks we that will take no longer than 5 minutes of your time that will help contribute to you achieving those elusive health and fitness goals.
1. Don't snooze: It's easier said than done I know, but trust me. Passing on the snooze button and getting up as soon as your alarm goes off will help you feel less tired.
How to do it: Set your alarm for the time you want to get up, not an earlier time just so you can hit snooze. The use of a fitness tracker or smartphone app that tracks your sleep cycle can help rouse you out of slumber when you're not in your deepest sleep.
2. Stretch: Feeling lethargic? Try waking up your body with a few stretches. This will also contribute to your digestion and help you become more flexible (an important aspect of staying injury-free, no matter how active you are, especially as we get older).
How to do it: The good news is that you can do these a lot of these strectches without leaving your bed, enabling you to ease into your morning routine.
3. Set an intention: Even the most meditation-averse among us can benefit from thinking positively. No need to spend five minutes trying to concentrate on thinking about nothing (although, if you want to, it works ) — a pause to think about what your goals are for the day and outlining a plan that will help you accomplish them is all you need to help you start off on the right foot.
4. Breathe: You can try this while you're saying your positive affirmations to save time, but whatever you do, start the morning with a few deep breaths from the diaphragm. As strange as it may seem, this alone can be the catalyst for you to be a success on your way to achieving your health and fitness goals.
5. Hydrate: The first thing you should think about when you wake up is water. Overnight, your body loses hydration, so replenishing fluids helps wake up your body (and metabolism) while flushing out toxins.
How to do it: Drink a glass of cold water in the morning as soon as you get out of bed, or opt for a mug of hot water with lemon.
Jon Morgan is a fitness expert and transformation specialist from Eastbourne ( East Sussex, UK ). Having worked with professional athletes and everyday people Jon uses his innovative techniques, education...