Welcome to the Hertford blog.
Back pain affects so many of us nowadays that millions of pounds of time and money is lost through time off work due to back pain.
Back pain is no fun, it can lead to depression and lengthy bouts of time off work. Of course there’s loads of things one can do to counteract and treat back pain, such as painkillers, but popping pills isn’t the best way to treat problems over a lengthy period of time.
Here’s some tips to deal with back pain and even prevent it from happening courtesy of the NHS:
1. Exercise your back regularly. Walking, swimming (especially backstroke) and using exercise bikes are all excellent ways to strengthen your back muscles.
2. Always bend your knees and your hips, not your back.
3. Never twist and bend at the same time.
4. Always lift and carry objects close to your body.
5. Try to carry loads in a rucksack and avoid sling bags.
6. Maintain a good posture. Avoid slumping in your chair, hunching over a desk or walking with your shoulders hunched.
7. Use a chair with a backrest. Sit with your feet flat on the floor or on a footrest. Change how you sit every few minutes.
8. Quit smoking. It is thought that smoking reduces the blood supply to the discs between the vertebrae and this may lead to degeneration of these discs.
9. Lose any excess weight.
10. Choose a mattress suited to your height, weight, age and sleeping position.
If your problems persist then there’s loads of places you can get treatment from in Hertford, why not try these two The Best Of Hertford recommended businesses, Julia Philpot Osteopath 01992 550101 or Body Stress Release by Charlotte Richardson Knott 01920 460458.
Both are completely different methods of pain treatment, but both are equally effective. Give them a go, don’t suffer in silence or mask the pain with pills, get it treated!
Member since: 10th July 2012
Hi there, my name's Victoria and as owner of thebestof Hertford and Ware it's my job to find and promote the best information, events and businesses that Hertford and Ware have to offer!