Welcome to the Hertford blog!
Well it happened in a flash didn’t it? Of course I’m talking about summer! It seems as though we are now well and truly into autumn. So even with the prospect of a late Indian summer to look forward to, the days will still be considerably cooler and definitely shorter. So it’s now time to look forward to my favourite time of the year for my favourite subject, food!
This weekend (and the 2nd Saturday of every month) is the farmers market in Hertford. It’s a great chance to get your hands on some local produce which you can make this with!
Potato and Thyme Soup
This is a fantastic tasting, warming and really cost effective soup to make to warm your bones, here’s what you need:
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 2 tbsp butter
• olive oil, for frying and drizzling
• 600 g potatoes, peeled and finely chopped
• 3-4 sprigs thyme, leaves only
• 1.2 litres chicken stock
Here’s what you need to do:
1. In a large saucepan, fry the onion in the butter and olive oil until softened but not browned.
2. Add the potatoes and most of the thyme and cook until the potatoes turn translucent. Season well with salt and pepper.
3. Cover with the chicken stock and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
4. Let the soup cool slightly before puréeing it with a hand-blender - leave a few lumps if you prefer a rustic-style soup.
5. Reheat if necessary then serve in bowls with a drizzle of olive oil and the remaining thyme leaves scattered on top.
Many thanks to Thomasina Miers and The Good Food Channel website for this great recipie.
Member since: 10th July 2012
Hi there, my name's Victoria and as owner of thebestof Hertford and Ware it's my job to find and promote the best information, events and businesses that Hertford and Ware have to offer!