Your name? Mike Wells Your business name? Wells Property Maintenance How long have you been in business? 30 years in April
1. What do you love most about your job? I most like the sense of achievement in transforming a clients bathroom, kitchen or indeed fixing their central heating problem.
2. Your Claim to fame? I once auditioned for the presenters job on BBc “Thats Life” program. Sadly I was not what they were looking for. I am also part of a Guinness world record with Hitchin Tilehouse Rotary club.
3. Your first childhood memory? A vivid childhood memory is that of burying a blue Vw beetle toy car in the sand at Caister holiday camp, I think I was three.
4. Most frightening film and why? The Omen for too scary. Also used to hide behind the sofa when Dr Who came on when I was a little boy.
5. What sort of training did you have before going into this business? I trained as a Banker working for Lloyds bank when I left school and then I trained with a Trade union looking after bank staff followed by a short stint in the city working in credit management. I think the accounts and business training i picked up during this time has helped me to be able to run the administration side of my business well.
6. What advice would you give someone who wants to set up their own business? I could go on here for pages but I guess to keep it short. Be honest, don’t promise anything you cant deliver and always pay your tax, your accountant and your suppliers on time.
7. The one local business you couldn’t possibly live without in Hitchin? I would definitely miss T Brookers and son if they were not there. I have had an account with them for 30 years
8. Who is the most interesting person you have met? I can not say who is the most interesting person I've met. I generally like talking to people all the time and almost everyone I meet has something interesting about them.
9. What’s your favourite spot in Hitchin and why? I love all of Hitchin its a great place to live and work. I particularly like the market square on a sunny afternoon with a coffee in hand.
10. If Hollywood made a movie about your life, whom would you like to see play the lead role as you? If Hollywood came calling you'd picked me up off the floor. I would say that I would like to be in the movie myself. I like being on TV.
11. What is the last book you read? James Patterson Olympic Games.
12. What is the best thing that someone has said about you and your business? A few of my clients call me The Gentleman plumber which I think is a great compliment.
13. Hindsight is a wonderful thing – what one thing would you do differently? Wow this is hard I probably should not have sold all my rented houses at the time of my divorce 22 years a go.
14. If you could be a super hero, what would you want your superpowers to be?That's easy if I was a super hero I would like to be like Mel Gibson in the Film 'what women want'. I would love to be able to hear what women think.
15. How would you describe your business in three words?Complete Property Maintenance
16. How have things changed for your business over the past few years? Communication has changed and everything is more urgent than before in most peoples eyes. I am expected to be contactable immediately 24/7 and by phone, email and social media.
17. What is the greatest challenge in running a business? The greatest challenge in running a business is finding enough time for your family.
18. What’s the best thing about being a member of theBestof Hitchin so far? Louise has been very helpful in giving me an online presence for my business. It is also great to be associated with a good Hitchin brand and the extra work I have had from people searching the best of Hitchin has been valuable.
I have had the pleasure of knowing Mike for about 3 years through Hitchin Tilehouse Rotary and he gets involved with all sort of charity work and scouting. If you want to know more about Mike and how he can help fix your house (or business) up, please check him and his testimonials out HERE