Did you know that it's a requirement Under RRO (www.legislation.gov.uk) to have your emergency lighting tested and not a recommendation? It turns out that a lot of people don't and we get a lot of questions from our customers regarding emergency lighting so we have decided to give you some information on what you need to know and why it's important to regularly test your emergency lighting.
What is emergency lighting
When a power failure occurs or the power supply to the normal lighting provision fails your emergency lighting should automatically cut in, providing you with sufficient light to exit the building to a place of safety.
What you need to know
As a business owner or property manager, it's important that you know about your emergency lighting as it will fall under your responsibility if an incident occurs.
According to BS5266, it is required that you have an annual 3-hour test carried out along with a monthly functional test, all of the maintenance and testing needs to be recorded in your log book. If this is something you aren't sure of the best thing to do is first find your log book to see the last time this was done.
Why you need to test it
• Test that the emergency light comes on during main power failure mode.
• Check that the charge LED's are working after they have been tested.
• Check that they function in the area under test.
• As mentioned BS5266 requires you to have an annual 3-hour test and monthly functional testing and it must be recorded in your log book this is essential.
• To stay compliant with the regulations and follow the requirements as stated in your Fire risk assessment.
• It could affect your insurance if these inspections and certificates are not carried out and log books are required by BS5266 to prove compliance.
How Tectonic can help
Give the office a call on 01323 644570 or head over to our website.
Don’t forget that if you would like to speak to our engineers 1-2-1 we will be at the #AskTheExpert event on 27th June 2018 between 10am and 2pm – find out all the details visit #AskTheExpert
Member since: 26th May 2016
Offering professional & quality service throughout Sussex. We are Approved NICEIC Contractors & Domestic Installers as well as Buy With Confidence Scheme.
The following Cookies are used on this Site. Users who allow all the Cookies will enjoy the best experience and all functionality on the Site will be available to you.
You can choose to disable any of the Cookies by un-ticking the box below but if you do so your experience with the Site is likely to be diminished.
In order to interact with this site.
To help us to measure how users interact with content and pages on the Site so we can make things better.
To show content from Google Maps.
To show content from YouTube.
To show content from Vimeo.
To share content across multiple platforms.
To view and book events.
To show user avatars and twitter feeds.
To show content from TourMkr.
To interact with Facebook.
To show content from WalkInto.