Did you know that it's a requirement Under RRO (www.legislation.gov.uk) to have your emergency lighting tested and not a recommendation? It turns out that a lot of people don't and we get a lot of questions from our customers regarding emergency lighting so we have decided to give you some information on what you need to know and why it's important to regularly test your emergency lighting.
What is emergency lighting
When a power failure occurs or the power supply to the normal lighting provision fails your emergency lighting should automatically cut in, providing you with sufficient light to exit the building to a place of safety.
What you need to know
As a business owner or property manager, it's important that you know about your emergency lighting as it will fall under your responsibility if an incident occurs.
According to BS5266, it is required that you have an annual 3-hour test carried out along with a monthly functional test, all of the maintenance and testing needs to be recorded in your log book. If this is something you aren't sure of the best thing to do is first find your log book to see the last time this was done.
Why you need to test it
• Test that the emergency light comes on during main power failure mode.
• Check that the charge LED's are working after they have been tested.
• Check that they function in the area under test.
• As mentioned BS5266 requires you to have an annual 3-hour test and monthly functional testing and it must be recorded in your log book this is essential.
• To stay compliant with the regulations and follow the requirements as stated in your Fire risk assessment.
• It could affect your insurance if these inspections and certificates are not carried out and log books are required by BS5266 to prove compliance.
How Tectonic can help
Check existing design for compliance.
Design New or additions to an existing system.
Test Existing lighting.
Repair faulty lighting if required.
Supply Emergency lighting log books.
Demo functional testing if you would like to do it yourselves monthly.
Provided technical guidance and help you meet your requirements under BS5266.
Arranging a monthly functional testing so we do all the hard work for you and all you need to do is arrange an appointment with the office where we will keep a reminder of when your testing is due.
Carry out any remedial repairs so you comply and are up and running.
Take care of your annual 3-hour testing and certificate.
Give the office a call on 01323 644570 or head over to our website.
Don’t forget that if you would like to speak to our engineers 1-2-1 we will be at the #AskTheExpert event on 27th June 2018 between 10am and 2pm – find out all the details visit #AskTheExpert