Eastbourne Rangers 3-2 Polegate Town
28th February 2018
... Comments

The Rangers first team put in a below par performance against local rivals Polegate but were still able to secure three valuable league points.

The red and blacks flew out of the blocks and found themselves a goal up on 2 minutes when excellent work from Ade Fermin on the rangers right saw his cross volleyed in by Dylan Nanuck at the back post.

The home side maintained their good start and we're again rewarded in the 10th minute when Benjamin Jesson ghosted in around the back of the Polegate defence to tap home a Luke Regan free-kick.

At half time the Rangers players were told that the next goal was crucial because the game was far from won.

In typical derby fashion the overall standard of the game dropped significantly which saw Rangers put in a sub-standard display for 45 minutes. Within 6 minutes of the restart Town found themselves back in the game. After poor ball retention from the home side, Polegate moved the ball quickly across the Rangers penalty area where a Town midfielder dispatched an unstoppable effort into the top corner from 20 yards out, 2-1.

But the red and blacks responded almost immediately when a ball from Jesson around the back of the Town defence wasn't dealt with which saw the away number 1 caught on his line with the ball at his feet. Before the keeper could take a touch, Regan came out on top in a 50:50 challenge and bundled the ball into the back of the net.

At 3-1 it was hoped Rangers could push on and get another goal but Polegate were dogged all over the pitch, which in combination with questionable decisions (for both teams), and a below par performance from the home side, made the game very difficult to watch.

This was compounded with 26 minutes to go when a regulation ball through the middle of the Rangers defence wasn't dealt with sufficiently which saw the Town striker steal in and finish past keeper Jason Tibble, amid the confusion through a miscommunication on the edge of the 18 yard box.

Polegate were nearly level with 9 minutes remaining but Tibble tipped over an inswinging corner in superb fashion, only for the referee to give Rangers a goal kick 🤔

With seconds left on the clock, a classic derby melé saw handbags at dawn, with one of the town players could consider themselves very fortunate to stay on the pitch after grabbing Karl Funnell around the throat, despite already being on a yellow card.

The Old Dave's Gourmet Burgers MOM was awarded to skipper Carl Kenward.

A 3-2 win for Rangers sees them climb to the summit of the division with Copthorne (who have games in hand) not playing again today due to an unplayable pitch.

Next week both Rangers sides are in action with the 1st team welcoming Burgess Hill Albion to the Sports Park 3G while the reserves make a trip to Bolney Rovers.

About the Author

Eastbourne Rangers FC

Member since: 25th July 2013

Eastbourne Rangers were formed in May 2009 and after a seasons worth of consolidation, we haven't looked back since. Four league consecutive titles in five years (which have seen the club promoted SIX...

Popular Categories