How to Identify What Type of Damp You Have
4th February 2019
... Comments

Do I have penetrating damp?

Common signs of penetrating damp include:

  • Blotchy patches on internal walls
  • Plaster and paint deterioration, blistering, the appearance of stains and salts
  • Rotting skirting boards or timber
  • Excessive moss growth on external walls
  • Moisture entering the brick (known as spalling) causing surface damage
  • Damp staining on external walls
  • Wet and crumbly plaster

Do I have rising damp?

If any of the following sounds familiar, you may need rising damp treatment:

  • Damp patches that start at the base of a wall and gradually move upwards, in a vertical fashion
  • Skirting boards or plaster that is damp or rotting
  • Floor coverings, such as tiles, vinyl or carpet, that are wet and lifting
  • Peeling paint or wallpaper
  • The appearance of a white, powdery salt-like substance on a wall
  • Yellow or brown tide marks or staining on a wall

Do I have condensation problems?

If you have any of the below it might be worth looking at condensation damp treatment.

  • Streaming windows
  • Damp patches on walls, especially behind furniture and in corners
  • Wallpaper that is starting to peel off
  • Black dots on window frames
  • Mould growth (usually black mould) starting to appear
  • Soft furnishings and fabrics become prone to mould and mildew. 


If you have damp in your house, Prokil damp specialists offer a free, no obligation damp survey. Contact Prokil Brighton today on 01273 258111.

About the Author

Simon H

Member since: 13th March 2017

My name is Simon Hetherton, I'm the branch manager for Prokil Brighton. Prokil Brighton offer a fast and reliable service. FREE inspections of your properties can be carried out to assess issues with Damp,...

Popular Categories