Halloween is fast approaching so if you've bought yourself a pumpkin or two, take a quick read of our previous blog on Pumpkin Carving Tips.
Alternatively here's a great spicy recipe for Pumpkin Soup:
If you're hosting a Halloween dinner party or have some pumpkin left over from carving, this recipe is perfect for those who love a good, hearty bowl of soup.
Don't forget there are many local businesses and hedge veg stalls selling locally grown vegetables in Guernsey so make sure you 'Buy Local' when you buy your pumpkin!
When chopping veg just do it roughly as you'll food process them later.
1 pumpkin, de-seeded, skin removed and cut into chunks
1 butternut squash, de-seeded, skin removed and cut into chunks
2 medium onions chopped
1 red pepper chopped
1 carrot peeled & chopped
1 medium potato, peeled & diced
6 rashers of smoked bacon
1-2 red chillies de-seeded and sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
600ml vegetable stock
Salt & ground black pepper
3 teaspoons Paprika or Smoked Paprika
1 teaspoon Thyme (sage is good too if you don't have Thyme)
1 pint water (to thin as required)
Creme fraiche to taste
1. Fry the onions, paprika and thyme in butter for 10 minutes until the onions start to caramelise
2. Add the pumpkin, butternut squash, red pepper, carrot, potato, bacon, chillies, garlic and fry for a further 5 minutes
3. Add the vegetable stock, and half the water, season with salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 20 minutes (stir occasionally and add extra water if required)
4. Puree with a hand blender or in a food processor
5. Serve in warmed bowls with creme fraiche, if required
If you try this recipe, we would love to hear how you got on (perhaps a few piccies too!)
Member since: 3rd July 2012
I'm Nicole Bromley, Client Relations Manager & Social Media Consultant for thebestof Guernsey. I am a local, have experience in client relations, business development, marketing, communications and social...