Following my last Blog on Pumpkin Carving Tips I promised you a Blog on Pumpkin Food. I am not a very experienced cook to be honest and have never cooked anything with Pumpkin so I have trawled the internet and magazines for a recipe that caught my eye.
The obvious choice seems to be Pumpkin Soup. There are recipes everywhere and it does look great served up in a Pumpkin but I have opted for this recipe:
Pumpkin Muffins Recipe -
If you're hosting a Halloween dinner party or perhaps have some pumpkin left over from carving, this recipe is a great one to try if you have a sweet tooth. Muffins are always a big hit with kids and you don't even have to tell them what they are made from!
Don't forget there are so many companies selling locally grown vegetables here in Guernsey so make sure when you buy your pumpkin, you 'Buy Local'.
1.5 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tsp of baking powder
1 cup pumpkin innards (minus the seeds)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 tsp of pumpkin-pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger and allspice)
1.25 cups plus 1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
12 foil or paper muffin liners and a muffin baking tray with 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups
1) Put oven rack in middle position and pre-heat oven to 180 ° / gas mark 4. Put liners in muffin cups.
2) Whisk together flour and baking powder in a small bowl.
3) Whisk together pumpkin, oil, eggs, pumpkin-pie spice, 1.25 cups of sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl until smooth, then whisk in flour mixture until just combined.
4) Stir together cinnamon and remaining 1 tbsp of sugar in another bowl.
5) Divide batter among muffin cups (each should be about 3/4 full)
6) Sprinkle tops with cinnamon / sugar mixture.
7) Bake for approximately 25 to 30 minutes until puffed and golden brown and a wooden centered pick or skewer inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
8) Cool in tray on a rack for 5 minutes, then transfer muffins from the tray to rack and cool at warm or room temperature.
You now have a house filled with a wonderful spicy pumpkin scent and delicious warm Pumpkin Muffins to eat.
If you do try this recipe, I would love to hear how you have get on and even see pictures so why not email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Member since: 3rd July 2012
I'm Nicole Bromley, Client Relations Manager & Social Media Consultant for thebestof Guernsey. I am a local, have experience in client relations, business development, marketing, communications and social...