Celebrating the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee 2012 in Suffolk
With only a couple of days left to the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations it's time to bring you some more interesting facts from the six decades spanning from The Coronation in 1952 to her Diamond Jubilee milestone this June 2012. Last week we covered the decade 1982 - 1992.
This week, in a fashionable colour of the decade (greeny/brown!), we will have a quick peek into the years from 1992 – 2002.
Official End of the Cold War and riots in Los Angeles After the Rodney King Verdict
Lorena Bobbitt Takes Brutal Revenge
World Trade Center Bombed
Channel Tunnel opens and genocide in Rwanda.
Nelson Mandela elected President of South Africa and O.J. Simpson arrested for double murder
Sarin Gas attack in Tokyo subway and Oklahoma City bombing.
Mad Cow Disease hits Britain ,Two Royal Divorces,Unabomber Arrested
Hale-Bopp Comet visible and Hong Kong returned to China.
Pathfinder sends back images of Mars and Princess Diana dies in car crash.
Tony Blair becomes Prime Minister
India and Pakistan Test Nuclear Weapons and Titanic becomes most successful movie ever. U.S. President Clinton impeached and Viagra hits the market.
The Euro the new European currency, fear of Y2K bug and JFK Jr. dies in plane accident.
Killing Spree at Columbine High School and Panama Canal returns to Panama
Millennium celebrations take place throughout the UK. The Millennium Dome is officially opened by the Queen.
Dr. Harold Shipman in sentenced to life imprisonment after being found guilty of murdering 15 patients.
George W. Bush succeeds Bill Clinton as President of the US.
Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, launches on the Internet.
Noah, a gaur, is born, the first animal of an endangered species to be cloned
Nearly 3,000 are killed in the September 11 attacks in US.
George Harrison, former lead guitarist of The Beatles dies at the age of 58.
Queen Elizabeth gives former New York City mayor Rudolph Giuliani an honorary knighthood.
Queen Elizabeth's Sister Princess Margaret dies in her sleep
The funeral of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother takes place in Westminster Abbey
U.S. invasion of Afghanistan:
Music - Candle in the Wind, love Is All Around, Barbie Girl, Cher, Bryan Adams Perfect Day, Britney Spears, Whitney Houston and the Spice Girls.
TV - Birds of a Feather, Only Fools and Horses, Inspector Morse, Darling Buds of May and Sex and the City.
Toys- Tamagotchis, Hungry Hippos, Pokemon and tickle Me Elmo.
Clothes - Beanies, grunge clothes, overalls, wide leg jeans, leather jackets and......spandex shorts!
Car of the Decade
Well known catch phrases of the decade.
'talk to the hand' 'sweet' and 'take a chill pill'!
Recipe of the Decade - Carrot Cake
During the 1990's it seemed as absurd an idea as its contemporaries the pop tart and clear cola and it had cheese icing too! Yuck! (Yum!)
* 150 g plain flour
* 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 150 g caster sugar
* 250 g coarsely grated carrots
* 100 g shelled walnuts, finely chopped
* 150 ml corn oil
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 1 tsp vanilla essence
For the frosting
* 50 g butter, room temperature
* 75 g full-fat cream cheese
* 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
* 100 g icing sugar
* 1 tbsp walnuts, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Grease and line an 18cm diameter round cake tin.
2. Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and cinnamon powder into a mixing bowl. Stir in the caster sugar, carrots and walnuts.
3. Pour in the corn oil, and add the eggs and vanilla essence. Stir to mix, and then beat for one minute until everything is combined.
4. Pour the cake batter into the prepared tin and bake in the centre of an oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until risen and firm to the touch. Remove the cake from the oven and leave on one side for 5 minutes before turning out onto a rack. Leave to cool completely.5. For the frosting, beat the butter until smooth, and add the cream cheese and vanilla essence. Gradually stir in the icing sugar.
6. Spread the frosting over the cake and scatter with chopped walnuts. Cut into generous wedges and serve.
1990’s Cocktail - Cosmopolitan
Thanks to 'Sex and the City'!
* Lemon Vodka - 1 shot* Cointreau - 2 shots* Orange Peel - 2 * 1 inches* Lime Juice - 2 shots* Orange Bitters* Lime Cordial* Cranberry Juice
* Fill a cocktail shaker with ice,take the lime juice, cranberry juice, lime cordial, vodka, Cointreau and a dash of orange bitters and pour into the shaker. Shake well and enjoy!
2012 - Local Jubilee event
Framlingham –Tea Party on Market Hill
Framlingham 2012 Events Committee have launched a drive to get the whole community involved in an Olympic parade and celebration due to be held at the end of July.
The town also plans to mark The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee with a tea party on the Market Hill, complete with music and entertainment which should be involve a lot of fun for everyone. Framlingham held an event on Market Hill to celebrate the Royal Wedding which was a huge success.
Visit thebestof blog
Don't forget to check our events page thebestof events for news & updates on all the great Jubilee Celebration events taking place in the region. Sign up as a member for free and receive our regular local newsletter containing offers, events and recommended local businesses.
Right Royal Ghosts!
A story as told by Governor of the Tower of London, 1994-2006.
The Queen’s House on Tower Green:
‘Soon after we’d arrived in 1994, my wife Janice was making up the bed in the Lennox room when she felt a violent push in her back which propelled her right out of the room!
No one had warned us that the house was haunted – but we then discovered that every resident has experienced something strange in that room!
The story goes that the ghost is that of Arbella Stuart, a cousin of James I, who was imprisoned and then possibly murdered in that bedroom.
To help residents make the most of the local opportunities to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, Suffolk Coastal has announced that all its car parks will be free on Sunday, June 3 and Monday, June 4.
Suffolk council are not charging any village or town to hold a Diamond Jubilee street party this summer!
There are currently 69 road closures in preparation for street parties accross Suffolk and we will let you have more details as they are confirmed.
Tune in this weekend for our last in this series of Diamond Jubilee blogs - 2002 - 2012!
Member since: 4th June 2012
I have been writing blogs for thebestof since June 2012 and really enjoy spreading the word about local events, businesses and general information in the Woodbridge, Framlingham, Aldeburgh and Southwold...