Gregsons Solicitors - a history spanning more than two centuries
27th March 2014
... Comments

 
Gregsons Solicitors have been established for 226 years, surely one of Wimbledon's oldest firms. Gregsons has had a varied and colourful history spanning more than two centuries, so here's a potted version of that history.
 
When Jesse Gregson was born in 1759, Canada was still controlled by the French, India was governed by the East India Company and Australia was not yet a penal colony.
 
Jesse was admitted to the Roll of solicitors in 1786 and two years later – in 1788 – Gregsons Solicitors was born.
 
By 1793, Gregsons was established at 8 Angel Court in the City of London which was to remain its home for the next 111 years. Jesse was appointed solicitor to ‘The Society for Prosecuting Felons' and, during the Napoleonic Wars, his son Jonathan entered the practice. Together, they assisted Sir Robert Peel in the preparation of legislation which laid the foundations for the new Police Force.
 
Following Jesse's death in 1824, the firm remained with Jonathan who, shortly before the outbreak of the Crimean War, took into partnership his own son Robert. The line was continued when, in 1887 the year of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, Jesse's great-grandson, Leonard, became a partner.
 
In 1901, Leonard was joined by Frederick W Wareham who, in 1894, had moved to Wimbledon. Here he both sheltered and represented the exiled Emile Zola following the much celebrated Dreyfus case.
 
The firm passed into the hands of Frederick on Leonard’s retirement in 1904 and moved to 14 John Street and then, after the Great War, to 34 Surrey Street, Strand. Frederick established a Wimbledon office in Alexandra Road, moving to 57 St George's Road in 1926. This became the firm’s principal office and remained so until the move to St Christopher’s House – their current location – in 1988.
 
By the time of the Second World War, the partnership consisted of Wareham, his son 'Boy' and his son-in-law Cecil Burr, the father of Jeffrey Burr, who joined the firm in 1943 becoming senior partner in 1968.
 
In 1988 the firm celebrated its bi-centenary with a champagne reception at Hurlingham.
 
Edmund Middlehurst – one of the current partners - trained under Jeffery Burr and became Managing Partner when the firm moved to its current address.
 
Partner, Michael Creamore started at the firm as a trainee and heads the Employment Law team.
 
Partners, Alexandra Adam and Mike Jones, joined in 2001 and 2000 respectively, further enhancing and developing the Gregsons’ expertise in the areas of dispute resolution and commercial property.
 
David McGrady became President of the Institute of Legal Executives from 2010-2011. He was instrumental in securing its Royal Charter in January 2012.
 
Gregsons today continues the same traditions of service to its clients as a busy and thriving practice in the same way as it has for 226 years.
 
St Christopher’s House, Tabor Grove, Wimbledon SW19 4EX
Tel: 020 8946 1173    www.gregsons.co.uk
 

 

More
About the Author

Andrew M

Member since: 10th July 2012

The Best of Wimbledon and Merton helps to bring all the best local information to all local residents and businesses throughout Wimbledon and Merton. We also bring trusted businesses and the community...

Popular Categories