Recent reports suggest that the UK could see temperatures plummet to as low as -20 C in the coming weeks, causing even more chaos for motorists - but Shrewsbury based minor car body repair specialists ChipsAway share tips on how to stay road safe.
Notoriously there are more road traffic accidents during winter months due to treacherous driving conditions.
Watchdog reports: “The number of minor traffic accidents increase dramatically as soon as the weather becomes colder. Low speed collisions caused by skidding on wet or icy surfaces lead to a rapid increase in car insurance claims during the winter months.”
ChipsAway, the UK’s leading minor car body repair specialists agree, and last winter saw a 19% increase in repair enquiries compared to the previous year.
“Winter driving conditions and icy roads can cause cars to skid into pavements or other vehicles, inflicting damage such as paintwork scratches, bumper scuffs and kerbed alloy wheels,” said Stuart Williams of Shrewsbury based ChipsAway.
“Winter exposes your car to particularly harsh conditions and places unique demands on drivers, making it more important than ever that you keep your car in the best possible condition and prepare yourself for every eventuality.”
Stuarts top tips for winter driving:
• Screen wash - keep the washer bottle full of screen wash of the correct concentration so it doesn't freeze in the washers. Don't use washing up liquid as it produces too much foam, or engine antifreeze which can damage the paintwork.
• Wash the car frequently when there is no risk of frost, and treat any stone chips or paintwork damage, as bare metal will quickly rust – especially when exposed to salt gritted roads.
• Make sure all wheel trims are fitted properly to protect the wheel nuts from corrosion which will make wheel removal more difficult.
• Tyres need plenty of tread. The legal limit is 1.6mm, but at this time of year it is better to change tyres when the tread reaches a depth of 3mm.
• Antifreeze at the correct concentration is vital all year round as it prevents both freezing and corrosion.
• If you must drive in snowy or icy conditions, be sure to take it slowly and maintain a good distance between you and the car in front!
For further information on ChipsAway in Shrewsbury, please contact Stuart and his team on 01743 466111.
Member since: 10th July 2012
That's our team, L-R Emma, Louise and Andy. We run thebestof and our sister marketing company, Key 3 Media. With over 40 years' combined marketing experience, we help promote local businesses through our...