Joel Stone from Salop Creative, graphic designers, web designers and photographers based just outside Shrewsbury - shares his top tips on how to improve your advertising.
Flyer printing and advertisements can play an important role when it comes to marketing your business. An effective flyer can inform prospective customers of your products and services and give them an incentive to purchase from you.
As part of your marketing, printed material still offers you a powerful tool. Flyer design must be handled carefully. A poorly put together flyer can damage a customer's perception of your business.
Some business owners waste their marketing spending on flyers and advertising that do more harm than good.
Here are our tips for improving your flyers:
1. Create a headline that benefits your audience, don't just use your business name. A major mistake many small businesses make is to use their business name as the headline for their advertisement. Your prospective customer doesn't care what you are called. They want to know what you can offer them and how it will benefit them.
2. Don't talk about yourself, talk about “them”. Look at the content of your advertisement. You should be using words like 'you' and 'your', talking about the benefits your product or service offers from the point of view of the prospective customer.
3. Include a call to action 'Pick up the phone', 'visit our website', 'call in to our shop'. Tell the reader what they need to do next in order to buy your services or product. A call to action is a well known marketing ploy to provide the reader with some instruction. It is surprising how many businesses fail to tell their customer's how to buy from them in their advertising.
4. Use unique imagery, eye catching colours and quality print. Improve the chances of the reader giving your advertising a second glance. Make sure you have designed your flyer to have impact. This can be achieved in several ways. You might print the flyers on an interesting texture, choose to have the flyers an unusual shape, use a unique image from your business, use high quality print to differentiate from other material the reader may have in their pile.
5. Don't use stock imagery If you can, use genuine images of your services or product in action. Immediately start to build trust and a sense of familiarity with your reader by using “real” images, rather than stock photography that could be used on anyone's flyers. Salop Creative can advise you on the best way to design and print your flyers for maximum effect.
Next time you're planning a printed campaign, talk to us by calling 01743 493077.
Member since: 10th July 2012
That's our team, L-R Emma, Louise and Andy. We run thebestof and our sister marketing company, Key 3 Media. With over 40 years' combined marketing experience, we help promote local businesses through our...