According to a new survey commissioned by thebestof.co.uk, the majority of Brits believe their local high street is in decline and that Supermarkets are largely responsible.
60% of those that took the survey also think the Government isn’t doing enough to encourage and support small retailers.
The survey comes in contrast to the latest CBI figures, which actually suggest high street sales are up, with 58% of retailers saying that the volume of sales rose during October.
So it’s interesting that there is still a strong perception that the high street is in decline – especially when it comes to local retailers and small businesses. With the rise in VAT next year this could become an even bigger issue.
Many Shrewsbury shop owners understand that there are ways they can compete with major chains. From setting up special offers to becoming a champion of all things local they are really capturing the imagination of the Shrewsbury community.
Here’s a quick ‘Top 5’ summary of what local high street shops can do to boost revenues and footfall. Advice from business owners to business owners:
1. Build and nurture your customer database so you can keep in touch with them in creative ways. Email, text and social media are all powerful tools that many retailers don’t utilise properly, if at all;
2. Provide a fantastic personal service to turn customers into ambassadors for your business;
3. Reward loyalty. So few businesses do this but it’s easy and it’s core to the strategies of all the big chains like Tesco, Sainsbury’s and Boots. Learn from them;
4. Position your business as one of the best, by shouting about accreditations, certificates and showing off all the great testimonials from your customers;
5. Take responsibility. The hardest of ‘em all…. If there are not enough customers coming into your shop then it’s your job to make it happen. Waiting for government or councils to do something could be wishful thinking.
After all, we love our independent shops, don’t we? We want them to stay! I’ve got nothing against the big boys but it’s galling to read about national store Chairmen taking home millions a year when some of our local shops struggle to break even.
thebestof.co.uk has a list of the full survey results. If you’d like a copy, please get in touch.
Member since: 10th July 2012
That's our team, L-R Emma, Louise and Andy. We run thebestof and our sister marketing company, Key 3 Media. With over 40 years' combined marketing experience, we help promote local businesses through our...
The following Cookies are used on this Site. Users who allow all the Cookies will enjoy the best experience and all functionality on the Site will be available to you.
You can choose to disable any of the Cookies by un-ticking the box below but if you do so your experience with the Site is likely to be diminished.
In order to interact with this site.
To help us to measure how users interact with content and pages on the Site so we can make things better.
To show content from Google Maps.
To show content from YouTube.
To show content from Vimeo.
To share content across multiple platforms.
To view and book events.
To show user avatars and twitter feeds.
To show content from TourMkr.
To interact with Facebook.
To show content from WalkInto.