Camping can be a fantastic way to enjoy the great outdoors. But in the excitement of a trip and because of the unfamiliar surroundings and ways of doing things accidents can easily happen.
To ensure your camping trip will be a memorable experience for all the right reasons read on.
Fire is a significant risk when you are camping. To reduce the risk:
The risks from Carbon Monoxide
The burning of all fossil fuels produces carbon monoxide (CO). Warm, smouldering barbecues, as well as gas stoves give off enough CO to kill. CO is called the ‘silent killer’ because it is colourless and has no smell. Exposure to CO in small amounts leads to a variety of symptoms including headaches, sickness, dizziness and breathlessness, which means there is a real risk of a person collapsing and becoming unconscious. Do not use stoves or disposable barbecues (for cooking or warmth) in an enclosed space with poor ventilation. CO poisoning has resulted in at least five deaths involving campers in the UK in the past year.
Enjoy your camping trip and enjoy the great outdoors by following the above safety tips.
Member since: 30th October 2012
Hi, my name's Sarah Mellor and I own Salopian Health & Safety. I help make sure that my business clients in the Shropshire area are compliant with the latest Health & Safety laws. If you worry that your...