Don’t shop till you drop this Christmas. There’s a right way and a wrong way to shop says Glenn Fredericksen from The Shrewsbury Family Chiropractic.
It is important to recognise the physical strain that shopping can place on your body. There are more back, neck and shoulder injuries suffered during the Christmas holiday season than any other time of year!
This is because many people have walked long distances on uneven and unforgiving surfaces, many women in high heel shoes carrying heavy bags and standing in queues. The constant movement of reaching between your purse and bags and learning to one side can significantly place stresses and strains on your spine.
Survival Guide Tips from local Chiropractor Dr Glenn Fredericksen:
• Shop online as well as offline! Most local shops offer e-commerce websites, which is great especially for heavy, bulky items
• Make sure you wear comfortable shoes, no high heels
• Ladies, empty your enormous handbag of any unnecessary weight or opt for a smaller bag and only carry essential items that you need for the day ahead. A bag that you can carry across your body is far better for distributing weight more effectively or you could consider a back pack
• Whilst standing in the queues shift your weight from one leg to another and bend your knees occasionally
• Carry shopping bags evenly in each hand to distribute weight – better still use a trolley!
• Take a break regularly, drink plenty of water and eat healthy snacks. Why not arrange a catch up with friends in many of the local cafes as a break to your shopping
• Do not carry parcels or shopping in front of you as this can cause greater strain on your lower back
• Avoid over-spending as this will cause further stress
If you experience pain or discomfort as a result of shopping or the stresses of Christmas please visit your local UCA chiropractic practice Shrewsbury Family Chiropractic.
“We don’t just wish you Good Health this Christmas Season, UCA Chiropractors actually help you to achieve Good Health,” said Glenn.
The United Chiropractic Association is an organisation representing chiropractors and students.
The UCA stand behind the underlying principles of chiropractic a “healthy spine, healthier life.” By offering expert drug-free spinal health care and lifestyle advice, UCA chiropractors can help you to lead and maintain a healthy life
For more information call The Shrewsbury Family Chiropractic on 01743 493091.
Member since: 12th June 2012
I am a PR and copywriting specialist and handle much of this work for the bestof Shrewsbury. I am passionate about living and working in Shrewsbury promoting the people, businesses and services which operate...