Off-road and no insurance, you could face a penalty...
22nd February 2011
... Comments

From early 2011, a new motor law will mean that the registered keeper of a vehicle must keep it insured unless they've made a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). Therefore if you're not insured and haven't made a SORN, you could face a penalty.

The only exceptions are vehicles that have been kept off-road since before SORN came into force on 31 January 1998 - unless they are brought back into use. The change in the law means that you won't be able to temporarily take a vehicle off the road and cancel your insurance, unless you make the vehicle SORN at the same time.

How does this affect a vehicle used only in the summer such as a caravan? If you have a vehicle that is not insured, but which is still taxed you could face a penalty. This includes motor caravans, motorbikes and classic cars – all vehicles that people sometimes leave uninsured for part of the year.

The new law will apply in England, Scotland and Wales. It will not apply in Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

Off road bikes and construction machinery on the Off Road Register are not affected by the change in the law unless they are registered for use on the public road.

The change in law will affect your classic car if it's taxed but not insured. If you have a vehicle that was manufactured before 01 January 1973 that has a 'nil value' tax disc, it is still considered by DVLA as taxed.

Vehicles which have been kept off-road since before SORN came into force on 31 January 1998 are exempt from this law unless they are brought back into use. If you want to bring the vehicle back into use, you will need to tax and insure it.

You can check that your motor insurance details are on the MID database and are correct.  If the details aren't correct, or are not on the database at all, you should contact your insurer immediately, as only they can update the MID's information.

If you require any advice please call us on 0208 943 5333.

Cheers Insurance - Insurance Brokers - Richmond upon Thames

About the Author

Alison C

Member since: 9th December 2011

Local, general Insurance Brokers in Hampton Hill High Street, open Monday to Friday.

Chat to Cheers' about Household Insurance, Property, Business, Motor Fleet, Travel and Boat Insurance. We can usually...

Popular Categories