This week we've been really proud to launch the first ever Heanor Indie Christmas Crawl - a fantastic fun competition for people of all ages which aims to get people into the local shops up and down our local High Street.
Help support independent businesses and have a chance of winning cash prizes
1st Prize - £100
2nd Prize - £75
3rd Prize - £50
The idea is simple.
1. Pick up a Map & Entry Form from any of the 18 shops below.
2. We have hidden an item from each shop into one of the other participating shops
3. Visit each place on the map before 24th December and find the item which does not belong in that shop. Tell the shopkeeper what it is and ask them to sign your entry form.
4. No purchase is necessary in any of the shops but obviously we hope that as you are going round you'll see lots of things that catch your eye and might even pick up some great Christmas presents whilst taking part.
5. When your form is full, fill in the details on the back and leave it with any of the participating shopkeepers to be entered into the prize draw to take place after Christmas.
1. Bostocks Home and Garden, Market St
2. Frosts of Heanor, Market St
3. Crest of the Wave, Market Place
4. Crystal Nails and Beauty, Church St
5. The Market Cafe, Market Place
6. Sue's Handcrafted Card Supplies, Derby Rd
7. A.C Stephens Opticians, Market St
8. High Life Kitchens, Ray St
9. Salcare, Ray St
10. Pierced and Proud, Ray St
11. Wood Brothers Audio Visual and Domestic Appliances, Ray St
12. Heanor Market, Market Place
13. Romac, Red Lion Square
14. Field Photographic, Derby Rd
15. AA Computers, Church St
16. Sweet Memories, Ray St
17. Porky's of Heanor, Market St
18. Fresh and Fruity/JJ's Furniture Shop, Market St
1. How do I prove that I visited each place on the map?
The retailer will sign your map to show that you have visited.
2. Christmas is an expensive time for me and I can’t afford to shop in 18 shops.
It is not a rule that you have to actually buy something! You just call in to say hi and have a look around, and the retailer will be happy to see that you’re playing the game.
3. 18 shops is a lot to visit, how am I supposed to find the time?
The game goes on until 12pm on Christmas Eve – you do not have to visit all the shops in one day.
4. I’ve never heard of some of the places on the list – how do I find them?
Exactly! The game is about finding the new and unknown places in a very familiar town. Addresses are provided here and the maps themselves have the addresses on too.
5. Why is there so much fuss about supporting independent businesses anyway?
For every £1 you spend in a local, independent business, between 50p – 70p circulates back into your local economy. Shopping locally supports local traders, their suppliers and the people that depend on them to run their business. Buying locally boosts your local economy, rebuilding confidence in the community and enabling the local businesses to prosper and grow.
When you shop with your local independents, you are doing ‘your bit’ to keep your local High Street and Town ‘open for businesses.‘
6. What have TheBestof Heanor and Ripley got to do with it?
As ‘the hub of all things local’ for Heanor and Ripley and the surrounding areas, we have a huge interest in helping the local community survive and thrive. We regularly get involved in local initiatives as part of our involvement with the community and our very modern website allows local people to shout about everything that is great within the area. We are really proud to be working with National Retail Champion Clare Raynor to bring your this fun competition which we hope will help to support our local retailers at a difficult time and bring much needed footfall back onto our High Street.
7. Why isn't this running in Ripley as well
This is the first year we have run this competition in our area. We hope that this year will be a huge success ad that we can then expand it out to run in Ripley next year, either as a separate competition or as one large Crawl covering the whole of our area, (including Loscoe, Codnor, Marehay, Denby, Waingroves, Woodlinkin and everywhere else), to get people visiting both towns and discovering the huge variety of shops we've got right here on our doorsteps.
For more information about this campaign, which is currently running in 40 towns around the U.K, have a look at http://www.indiechristmas.co.uk/
Please feel free to contact Thebestof Heanor and Ripley with any questions or queries or to find out more about what we do.
Member since: 10th July 2012
Hi, I'm Sarah. I've lived in Heanor with my family for over 10 years and I'm passionate about our beautiful little corner of this historical county. If you know of something that's great about our area,...