At the start of the holiday season, when people are leaving the UK to enjoy a summer getaway, Amber Valley residents are being advised to make sure their homes are secure before jetting off to the sun.
These helpful tips can go a long way to making sure you don't return from your hols to the stress and turmoil of a break-in:
1. Make sure your property is not too tempting for a potential opportunist thief by keeping windows, doors and side gates locked.
2. Let trusted neighbours, friends and family know about your holiday so they can keep an eye on your home.
3. Cancel any milk or newspaper deliveries
4. Ask a neighbour if they would leave a car on your driveway to make the home look more lived in.
5. Use timer switches so that lamps come on after dark.
6. Remove any ladders or bins which could provide access to your home.
7. Secure any outbuildings, garages or sheds.
8. Make sure you use an alarm or CCTV system if you have one installed.
9. Hide any valuable or irreplaceable items, including jewellery, cameras, laptops or DVD players.
10. Security mark your valuables.
Community Safety Inspector Russ Dakin said: “The advice is quite simple but it is something people might forget to consider when preparing to leave but by raising awareness we will hopefully help prevent the distress that can be caused by burglary.
“Take time to think about any signs which might indicate you are away, and see if there is anything you can do to make your home less vulnerable."
Insp. Dakin added: “If you need any further crime prevention advice please, contact officers from your local Safer Neighbourhood policing team, who will be more than happy to talk you through the security measures you can take.”
To contact your local Safer Neighbourhood policing team call 101, the non emergency number for Derbyshire police, or email them from the website: www.derbyshire.police.uk.
Member since: 10th July 2012
Hi, I'm Sarah. I've lived in Heanor with my family for over 10 years and I'm passionate about our beautiful little corner of this historical county. If you know of something that's great about our area,...