Time is running out to extend your house without planning permission
18th February 2015
... Comments

In 2012 the government brought in legislation which enable home owners to make certain alterations to their property without the need of planning permission. They introduced this for a trial period which was then extended to 3 years. This three years, however, is nearly up: it ends at the end of 2015.

So, under these proposals what changes can be made to homes? It depends a lot on where you live. Those in conservation areas or in listed buildings have different rules but as a general rule, those wishing to extend via loft conversions or adding a conservatory/extension are able to as part of Permitted Development. When extending there are some rules:

  • Any extension must not exceed 50% of the total area around the house either as it stood on 1st July 1948 or the day it was built (whichever applies).
  • If you extend on the side of the house facing the road then you will need planning permission, all other sides can fall under Permitted Development
  • If you have a detached house a single storey extension can only be up to 8m long. Side extensions can only be single storey.
  • If you have a semi-detached or terrace house then single storey extensions can only be 6m long.
  • The cladding of the building must match what your existing building has. Anything outlandish or different needs planning permission.
  • Single storey extension cannot be above 4m in height
  • If a 2 storey extension is built, it cannot be above 3m long.

Most loft extensions fall outside of the realms of planning permission and fall as Permitted Development. If, however, you want to add a dormer at the front of the house or raise the roof level then you need to get the council’s permission. Similarly, loft conversions are restricted to creating a space of 40 cubic metres for a terrace house or 50 cubic metres in a semi-detached to fall into the Permitted Development.

With the new rules there is a lot of scope for ‘interpretation’ with many Local Authorities having different interpretations of the 49 page document sent to them.

If you are in any doubt then seek the advice of either a planning professional or the Local Authority as they will know exactly what is and isn’t allowed. Getting it wrong could lead to the council making you take down the extension that you have built.

If you want to extend your house then contact McQueen Installations today and see how they can help with your quest of extending your home.

About the Author

Chloe G

Member since: 17th October 2014

Popular Categories