You can't please everyone it's as simple as that. But complaints can affect your business and the people that work for you it's that sense of disapointment.
As the owner of a business it's difficult not to take it personally and respond accordingly. Not a good idea.
Here's a few thoughts on how to respond to complaints:
1. The aim is not to make matters worse.
2. Don't leave your response deal with the complaint promptly.
3. Be sympathetic.
4. Keep calm however unjust you feel the complaint to be.
5. Show concern and an anxiety to resolve the problem.
6. If it can't be dealt with quickly keep in contact, give updates on progress. Try to contact them before they chase you.
7. Find out the reasons for the complaint in order to prevent a repeat.
8. Even saying thanks to them for alerting you to a situation. After all many customers may keep quiet but never use you again.
Depending on how you deal with complaints can have a positive effect on your business. You could end up with a happy customer and a loyal fan.
2nd April 2013
Hi I'm Tom Bosher
I run thebestofchelmsford and am passionate about helping the independent businesses in Chelmsford thrive and achieve their goals.