Electrical safety in the Bathroom tips from Alan Hodgkinson of Cornerways Electrical Warwick
16th January 2012
... Comments

Electrical Safety in the Bathroom

Water carries electricity efficiently. When the two mix, the result can kill. Because of this, from an electrical safety point of view,the bathroom is possibly the most dangerous room in the home. The consequences of an electric shock are far more severe in a bathroom or shower room, as wet skin reduces the body’s resistance. There are special requirements for electrical installations in bathrooms.


Sockets are not allowed in bathrooms or shower rooms,(apart from shaver-supply units),unless they can be fitted at least three metres from the bath or shower.


Shaver-supply units must be a safe distance from the bath or shower to avoid splashes.


Enclosed ceiling light fittings must be installed,(rather than pendant light fittings).Any un-enclosed light fittings should be out of reach of someone using, or still wet from using, the bath or shower.


A ceiling-mounted pull-cord switch, with the cord made of insulating material is the safest option for a bathroom. Standard wall-mounted light switches are not allowed within the bathroom due to the possible danger of damp or wet hands.


Central heating is a good way of keeping a bathroom warm. If you do have an electric room heater, it must be fixed at a safe distance from the bath or shower.


Electric heaters should be preferably be controlled by a pull cord or a switch outside the bathroom.


An electric shower must be supplied on its own circuit, direct from the consumers unit.


Don’t bring mains-powered portable appliances such as hairdryers, heaters or radios into the bathroom. You could be severely injured or killed.

For more information on Cornerways Electrical click Here

Popular Categories