igh Wycombe Bowling Club, the third oldest club in the County, was born in 1902 in
Harlow Rd. This is just east of the town centre opposite the Rye.The first High Wycombe
bowling green was situated at the top of the road where St John's Ambulance Station now
stands. This was a 4 rink green, which at the time was quite sufficient for the number of
bowling players. The site was purchased by 35 shareholders for the sum of £35.
Amongst the foundling members were furniture manufacturers, mill owners, doctors and
solicitors. One of the better known members was Lord Desborough.
As High Wycombe prospered and grew, so did the Bowls Club. It became apparent
that the green was of insufficient size for the potential membership, so in 1927 the new
club was opened at its present site in Chestnut Avenue. The Harlow Rd club was sold for
£450 and the new land bought for £300. A maximum size green of eight rinks was
constructed by Maxwell Hart of Glasgow at a cost of £1000. This was the first Cumberland
turf green to be laid in Buckinghamshire. The clubhouse, which cost £700, has changed
very little since 1927. It still has its original oak beams and the timber lined main hall.
80 hand-made wheel back chairs, each with H.W.B.C. carved on the back,were presented
by James Elliots & Sons. The President's chair, also with H.W.B.C. carved on the back,
was made by J.W.Hawkins. Over the years the two most important games to be played at
the green were the touring South African sides in 1935 and again in 1995.