As the weather becomes more extreme all motorists are exposed to harsher driving conditions.
Extra care is needed when driving in snow and icy conditions. The following advice will enable you and your family to be prepared.
Equipment - ideally the following items should be carried on you or in the vehicle:
Remember to prepare your vehicle for winter driving before you set off
• Check anti-freeze levels,
• Top up your screen wash ensuring it is a higher concentrate or it will freeze,
• Check tyre pressures,
• Keep your lights and windows clean.
Top winter driving tips
1. Drive defensively; anticipate the road ahead through observing near, middle and far distance.
2. Keep well within the speed limits; drive to the conditions not the speed limit.
3. Avoid excessive steering and cornering at speed, steer smoothly into bends and corners.
4. Avoid excessive braking, brake gently and use low gears to engine brake.
5. Avoid overtaking snow ploughs or gritting vehicles, the driver has limited visibility & the road in front of them will be worse than the road behind them.
6. Increase the gap between you and the vehicle in front, stopping distances can increase 10 times that of normal stopping distances.
7. Black ice is more prevalent early morning and late at night when temperatures are at their lowest.
8. Use second gear when moving off in snow.
9. Select the most suitable gear early when driving up hill, avoids changing gear on the hill and losing momentum.
10. Reduce speed before going downhill, select a low gear and avoid using the brakes.
11. Allow an extra 10 minutes to prepare the car before setting off.
12. Clear snow off of the vehicle before driving off, frozen blocks of snow falling from your vehicle are a hazard to other road users and can slide forward obscuring your visibility.
13. Do not drive off until your windows have fully de-misted and all ice removed.
For more Road Safety advice please visit our website.
Member since: 27th February 2014
Hi, I am Annabel and I am the Business Development person here at thebestof Exeter. If you want to promote your business to our huge audience.
Get in touch with me if you need any help 01392 349 130