Michael Eavis supporting fire safety at Glastonbury
30th June 2014
... Comments

Michael Eavis is happy to support the poster campaign, with a population of over 200,000 festivals goers at its peak – a medium-sized city - encouraging everyone to safely enjoy the festival is vital.

The posters

They have two key messages, one focuses on the dangers of bringing portable BBQs into a tent or awning to keep warm. People often don’t realise that they are being overcome by poisonous carbon monoxide fumes until it is too late.

The other poster advises changing gas cylinders outside a tent and not to smoke at the same time. With the heading - Don’t blow your whole weekend!

Did you know that BBQs give off poisonous carbon monoxide hours after use?

BBQs are designed for cooking not for heating up spaces. You cannot smell, taste or see Carbon Monoxide, so…if you suddenly get flu symptoms, or have headaches, nausea and vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness or weakness you may have Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Modern tents are designed as an integral structure with built-in groundsheets, if portable or disposable BBQs are bought inside to warm the tent up, carbon monoxide gases can rise to fatal levels in a matter of minutes.

Don’t be tempted to cook inside your tent or awning, unless there’s an area specifically designed for this purpose and you’re sure there is adequate ventilation. To work safely BBQs need more ventilation than your tent or awning can provide and there’s also the risk of fire.

Don’t rely on a carbon monoxide detector to keep you safe in a tent or awning. They may be useful at home, in a caravan or in a motorhome, but they are not designed for the conditions found in a tent or awning.

Fire prevention while camping

Remember, a fire can destroy a tent within 60 seconds so underlining the dangers is important.

  • never use candles in or near a tent - torches are safer
  • keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children
  • flammable liquids and gas cylinders should be kept outside the tent and away from children
  • oil-burning appliances shouldn’t be used in or around tents
  • keep your cooking area clear of flammable material, including long grass
  • have an escape plan and be prepared to cut your way out of your tent if there is a fire

For more information on camping and carbon monoxide advice please visit Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service –

About the Author

Dave B

Member since: 10th July 2012

Hi, I am Dave, I run thebestof Exeter along with my colleagues. If you want to promote your business or event, get in touch with us on 01392 349 130.

Popular Categories