Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service wants your BBQ and Wimbledon celebrations to be a safe and enjoyable experience, but cooking over hot coals can be hazardous. It’s very easy to become distracted when you have family and friends around you whilst cooking!
Marc House, Community Safety Prevention Manager said: “It’s natural to want to go outdoors and enjoy the warmer weather with family and friends, especially with Wimbledon happening - many of us can’t wait to get the BBQ lit. We all know how tempting it can be to give stubborn coals a helping hand, but, please be patient and make sure you use the right tools for the job.
“By far the biggest danger is the use of flammable liquids to light the barbecue. We have had a couple of occasions where people have poured petrol onto the charcoal in an effort to get it going and the reaction has, not surprisingly, been violent and highly dangerous. Prepare well in advance and light the charcoal early.”
Marc added: “If you’ve planned a barbecue and the weather lets you down, don’t take the barbecue indoors or into a tent. In recent years, some people have sadly succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning as a result. Enjoy yourself safely.”
Carbon monoxide (CO) is difficult to detect because it is colourless and has no taste or smell. People often don’t realise that they are being overcome by fumes until it is too late.
Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service are supporting the Fire Kills BBQ campaign and would like to offer some safety tips to make sure that you have a safe and enjoyable time.
Member since: 10th July 2012
Hi, I am Dave, I run thebestof Exeter along with my colleagues. If you want to promote your business or event, get in touch with us on 01392 349 130.