Happy Diwali
11th November 2015
... Comments


The word Diwali means ‘rows of lighted lamps’ and is known as the festival of lights because houses, shops and public places are decorated with small earthenware oil lamps called diyas. Lamps and candles are lit to help the goddess of wealth to find her way into people’s homes.


Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service remind those using candles and nightlights in this festival of light to ensure that they are used safely and kept away from flammable materials and surfaces.


Marc House, Community Safety Prevention Manager said: "We are often called to fires started by candles placed too near to flammable items and the best advice we can give is to ensure candles are placed on stable surfaces which don't burn. Always keep curtains away from candles and keep safe this Diwali".


The recent rise in the popularity of candles and scented burners around the home has increased the risk of fire and accidents. The majority of these accidents happen because candles and burners are placed too close to flammable objects such as curtains, bedding and clothing.


The risk of this happening at Diwali can be reduced by following this simple advice:

  • never leave a candle or burner unattended
  • never lean across a candle
  • never play with candles or matches
  • never use outdoor candles indoors
  • always place candles on a heat resistant surface
  • make sure candles are standing upright and are firmly fixed into proper holders that will not fall or get knocked over easily
  • leave at least 10cm (4inches) between two candles and never place them under   shelves or other surfaces
  • extinguish the candle before it burns into the holder
  • follow the manufacturer’s instructions on candles and scented burners
  • make sure candles are completely out – not smouldering.
  • remember to extinguish all candles and burners before you go to sleep.


Keep candles and burners

  •  out of draughts
  • well away from curtains, furniture, drapes and sources of direct sunlight
  • away from trees, plants and other foliage
  • out of reach of children and pets
  • away from hair and clothing

Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service strongly recommend that every home has at least one smoke alarm on each floor level.  Smoke alarms should be checked regularly to ensure that they are working properly. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999. Make sure that everyone in your home knows what to do if a fire should occur– practise your escape route.


Please celebrate Diwali safely, have fun and enjoy yourselves.

Plan an escape route – make sure you and your family know the quickest way out in the event of fire.

If a fire does break out in the home, then Get out, Stay out and Call 999.

To request free Home Safety advice call free on: now 0800 0502999. For any other fire safety advice, contact the Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue helpline on: 01392 872288 or visit our website www.dsfire.gov.uk

About the Author

Dave B

Member since: 10th July 2012

Hi, I am Dave, I run thebestof Exeter along with my colleagues. If you want to promote your business or event, get in touch with us on 01392 349 130.

Popular Categories