Alan Coxon, Community Safety Prevention Manager said: “With the colder weather approaching, many people will naturally be using their gas appliances more than ever over the coming months. It’s important that all gas appliances are safety checked at least once a year as poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.”
Carbon Monoxide is potentially fatal and even low-levels of the poison can cause lasting damage to your health. Carbon Monoxide has no colour, taste or smell and can be produced by appliances that use gas, wood, oil or coal. Carbon Monoxide can also be present in smoke from solid fuel or oil appliances.
Watch this video horror clip called the silent killer, based on students moving into rented accommodation. http://silentkiller.co.uk/
Alan continued: “Check for warning signs your appliances aren’t working correctly, such as lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.”
Sign up for a free reminder service at www.StayGasSafe.co.uk, and use the interactive gas map to see how many unsafe gas appliances are lurking in an area.
Follow these simple checks to stay gas safe:
Member since: 10th July 2012
Hi, I am Dave, I run thebestof Exeter along with my colleagues. If you want to promote your business or event, get in touch with us on 01392 349 130.