With concerns about rising energy prices forcing people to use portable heaters in order to warm their homes, the Charity is joining forces with Devon & Somerset & Fire & Rescue Service to warn of the risks associated with these items as part of Electrical Fire Safety Week, which runs from 10 – 16 November.
Electrical Safety First’s research found that 78% of people were worried about the rising costs of energy bills, and over half would use portable heaters as an alternative to keep warm this winter.
However, it was also revealed that many could put themselves and their loved ones at risk by using the heaters incorrectly. 38% of people admitted that they would leave a heater switched on and unattended, whilst 21% would leave one switched on overnight. And with portable heaters having caused 73 deaths, around 1000 injuries and over 3,800 fires since 2009/10, the dangers posed by using them incorrectly are very real.
The elderly are particularly vulnerable. Those aged 80 and over make up nearly 40% of the fatalities caused by portable-heater fires last year, even though 33% of people would use a portable heater to keep an older relative warm.
In order to minimise the danger, with Devon & Somerset & Fire & Rescue Service and Electrical Safety First have produced the following guidance for heating your home safely:
Emma Apter at Electrical Safety First said: “Having a warm home this winter is something everyone deserves, so we welcome portable heaters as a low cost option at a time when energy costs are spiralling. However, it is vital that the dangers associated with these items are understood – particularly as our research suggests that people are putting themselves and their loved ones at risk by using them in an unsafe way.
“By following our short, simple guidance, people can stay safe and stay warm this winter.”
Alan Coxon, Community Safety Prevention Manager added: “With winter approaching, people will be considering the costs of heating their homes and many will be seeking cheaper alternatives. Yet the cost counting may not stop there if portable heaters are used incorrectly. Instead of saving money, you could be looking at fire, injury and even death. It is therefore vital that people take our messages on board and follow the advice provided”.
Member since: 10th July 2012
Hi, I am Dave, I run thebestof Exeter along with my colleagues. If you want to promote your business or event, get in touch with us on 01392 349 130.