Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service remind everyone that buying cheap, unsafe chargers may put their home and loved ones at risk.
Watch Manager Gareth Sydenham said: “The fire was small but could have easily spread to something worse When we arrived the occupier had already smothered and extinguished the fire, which resulted in them receiving a slight burn injury that required hospital attention. The occupier had been using non genuine phone chargers purchased from a £1 store.
“We would remind everyone to not leave devices charging for long periods and make sure that you are using the correct chargers.”
Electrical Safety First states that the total annual online sales of mains plug-in chargers are estimated to be in the region of 1.8 million. It is likely that most of these sales involve cheap, unbranded chargers. Unsafe charger units are being manufactured in China from as little as $0.46 (Hong Kong Dollar), which is equivalent to 3 pence.
The fire service is concerned that lives are being put at risk particularly young lives, whenever cheap unsafe chargers are used to charge music devices, hand-held games consoles and similar electronic goods.
In the event of a fire
Get Out, Stay Out, Call 999. Never use water on an electrical fire and don't take any risks with your safety.
Test your smoke alarms regularly. Smoke alarms can save your life, but only if they work.
Make the call to request free Home Safety advice call free on: now 0800 05 02 999. For any other fire safety advice, contact the Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue helpline on: 01392 872288 or visit our website www.dsfire.gov.uk
Member since: 27th February 2014
Hi, I am Colin Slade, I am the New Business Manager here at thebestof Exeter and I handle lots of the PR and News stories for our clients