Christmas has arrived!
5th December 2013
... Comments

Christmas has arrived! Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service want you to have a joyful and fire safe Christmas this year. Fire safety is important at any time of the year, but with the extra distractions of Christmas itâs especially important to be vigilant. Dry Christmas trees, colourful decorations and wrapped presents are all extra fuel for a potential fire into your home. Children and the elderly are particularly vulnerable to accidental fires in the home, so take extra care this season to ensure that your families, loved ones and neighbours are all protected from the extra Christmas fire risks. Most people vastly underestimate the deadly strength of toxic smoke and overestimate how long they would have to escape should a fire break out. The reality is that just two to three breaths of smoke in a fire can render a person unconscious. Christmas should be a time for celebration rather than tragedy and for this reason Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service are urging people to be fire aware and stay fire safe. Christmas Fire Safety Tips: festive decorations made of tissue paper or cardboard burn particularly easily, so keep decorations and greeting cards away from heaters, lights, fireplaces and candles  ensure you check the smoke alarms in your home are working, check them on a regular basis and do not be tempted to remove batteries to power any Christmas presents  most fires start in the kitchen so this is a high risk area  never leave festive cooking unattended and avoid cooking whilst drunk. Always turn off kitchen appliances when you have finished cooking ⢠never leave candles unattended. Keep decorations, cards and wrapping paper away from candles, fires, lights and heaters ⢠ensure you switch off fairy lights and unplug them before you go to bed, or leave the house. Check your Christmas tree lights conform to the British Standard (BS EN 60598). Don't let the bulbs touch anything that can burn easily, such as paper or fabrics always use an RCD (residual current device) on outdoor electrical equipment (This safety device can save lives by instantly switching off the power if there is a fault and can be found in any DIY store) don't overload sockets ensure only one plug per socket. Always turn off plugs when they are not in use, except those that are designed to be left on, like freezers make sure cigarettes are extinguished properly and never smoke in bed. make your escape plan. Get out alive plan your escape route for the event of fire and ensure all your family and guests know where the door and window keys are kept; and finally, in the event of fire: get out, stay out and call 999.

About the Author

Dave B

Member since: 10th July 2012

Hi, I am Dave, I run thebestof Exeter along with my colleagues. If you want to promote your business or event, get in touch with us on 01392 349 130.

Popular Categories