Every year Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service attends fires caused by the sun’s rays focussing through or onto glass, and then setting fire to nearby objects.
Over the weekend two crews from Taunton attended a fire in a bedroom.
The fire investigation that followed has determined that the source of the fire was the sun shining through a window upon a magnifying mirror. The sun was magnified on to a cushion/pillow which eventually caused this to burn.
The bedroom was severely damaged by flame, heat and smoke and the rest of the flat was smoke damaged.
Paul Bray, Community Safety Protection manager for Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service said: ‘Many people do not realise the dangers of leaving glass objects too close to windows. Anything that can concentrate the sun’s ray should be moved away from the window to reduce the risk of fire breaking out, especially where the sun can shine directly into the room.
He went on to say: ‘I have personally attended two fires caused by make-up mirrors, positioned on dressers, in bedrooms. One of these fires occurred in the early morning, with the sun shining through a south-easterly facing window, and the other occurred in the early evening, with the sun shining through a south westerly facing window. Both days were bright and sunny, but not hot.
“If any of your rooms are penetrated by bright sunlight, carry out a check to make sure any glass objects cannot re-focus the sunlight to create a fire.”
Make the call to request free Home Safety advice call free on: now 0800 05 02 999. For any other fire safety advice, contact the Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue helpline on: 01392 872288 or visit our website www.dsfire.gov.uk.
Member since: 27th February 2014
Hi, I am Colin Slade, I am the New Business Manager here at thebestof Exeter and I handle lots of the PR and News stories for our clients