Fire safety is important at any time, but even more so in the festive period with the extra distractions of Christmas it’s especially important to be vigilant. Dry Christmas trees, colourful decorations and wrapped presents are all extra fuel for a potential fire in your home.
This was further highlighted when recently a candle was left unattended in the living room of a flat in Brixham and a fire broke out. The flames caught the curtains alight, resulting in a severe fire which completely destroying the room of origin. As a result the occupant who was not insured is now homeless.
Candle fires result in over 350 casualties every year in England.
Dave Roddy, Prevention manager for South Devon Group said: “To prevent candle fires from starting in your home, you should make sure your candles are kept away from flammable materials like curtains and ensure candles are put out when you leave the room, even for a moment. “
Stay alive and stay safe with a smoke alarm
Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service remind you that a working smoke alarm will greatly increase your chances of escaping from a fire unharmed. Without one you and your family are more than twice as likely to die in a fire at home.
Check that a smoke alarm is fitted on each level of your property:
If a fire does break out in the home, then Get out, Stay out and Call 999.
To request free Home Safety advice call free on: now 0800 0502999. For any other fire safety advice, contact the Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue helpline on: 01392 872288 or visit our website www.dsfire.gov.uk
Member since: 10th July 2012
Hi, I am Dave, I run thebestof Exeter along with my colleagues. If you want to promote your business or event, get in touch with us on 01392 349 130.