Carbon Monoxide is potentially fatal and even low-levels of the poison can cause lasting damage to your health.
Don’t block ventilation
It is dangerous to block ventilation to your fuel-burning appliances as this can lead to Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
Fuel-burning appliances need a consistent supply of air in order for complete combustion to occur and for the appliance to work correctly. If you are concerned about drafts in your home, you should speak to your installation specialist who may be able to recommend a different location in your home for the appliance to be relocated.
If you use a solid fuel burning appliance you should have your chimney swept at least once a year, preferably before each winter, as birds’ nests, falling stonework and rubble, also spider webs and leaves can block chimneys and stop or reduce the flow of air. Any blockage can alter the combustion balance or can cause carbon monoxide to enter the home instead of being safely vented from the property outside.
Appliances that are properly installed and serviced and have sufficient ventilation are efficient and safe.
The early symptoms
Recognising the early symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning will save your life.
Our blood has a component called haemoglobin, which normally absorbs oxygen in our lungs and carries it to the rest of the body. But haemoglobin absorbs Carbon Monoxide 240 times more easily than it does oxygen.
So, when we inhale Carbon Monoxide from the air, it is this toxic gas, rather than oxygen that attaches itself to the haemoglobin, starving the body of oxygen. The smaller the person, the more quickly the body can be overcome by the effects of Carbon Monoxide.
The symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are similar to the ‘flu’. They can include:
If you experience these symptoms but feel better when you are outside or away from the appliance, you could be suffering from Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
Member since: 10th July 2012
Hi, I am Dave, I run thebestof Exeter along with my colleagues. If you want to promote your business or event, get in touch with us on 01392 349 130.