Whether camping or glamping never use a BBQ to heat your tent
28th July 2015
... Comments

You cannot smell, taste or see Carbon Monoxide. So, if you suddenly get flu symptoms, or have headaches, nausea and vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness or weakness you may have Carbon Monoxide poisoning. People often don’t realise that they are being overcome by fumes until it is too late.

Modern tents are designed as an integral structure with built-in groundsheets and carbon monoxide gases can rise to fatal levels in a matter of minutes if portable or disposable BBQs are used inside for heating purposes. BBQs are designed for cooking not for heating up spaces.

Don’t be tempted to cook inside your tent or awning, unless there’s an area specifically designed for this purpose and you’re sure there is adequate ventilation. To work safely BBQs need more ventilation than your tent or awning can provide and there’s also the risk of fire.

Don’t rely on a carbon monoxide detector to keep you safe in a tent or awning. They may be useful at home, in a caravan or in a motorhome, but they are not designed for the conditions found in a tent or awning.

Stay safe while camping and don’t put yourself at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning by following Gas Safe Register’s top tips:

  • Never use a smouldering or lit BBQ (charcoal or gas), gas stove, light or heater in a tent unless it is a permanent fixture that has been installed and maintained correctly.
  • Place your cooking area well away from your tent. Always ensure there is an adequate supply of fresh air where the BBQ is being used.

For more information our website for camping and carbon monoxide advice.

About the Author

Dave B

Member since: 10th July 2012

Hi, I am Dave, I run thebestof Exeter along with my colleagues. If you want to promote your business or event, get in touch with us on 01392 349 130.

Popular Categories