We read this interesting contribution from BNI on an article the Sun newspaper this week highlighting the pitfalls of marketing your business through Social Media.
In summary :-
There are many businesses which have the various social media profiles and accounts, yet no content, others that bombard with constant stream of promotional messages, and a large proportion that don’t engage at all with their followers. These three elements are factors why SMEs are failing in their social media usage.
However, BNI (Business Network International ) conducted a recent survey of SME’s and despite the feedback on what NOT to do - over 80 % of SMEs expect to gain new business using social media in the future, with three in five claiming to have already secured new business as a result of social media.
The five biggest mistakes made by small businesses trying to use social media are:
1. Spamming followers with the same “sales” messages they put out through email.
2. Sending out a stream of info with no personality or interaction.
3. Failing to write a decent Linked In profile — one of the biggest ‘people’ search engines in the UK.
4. Losing interest if there isn’t an immediate sales opportunity.
5. Marketing to customers who simply want to chat.
Here at thebestof we have developed a package with Suzanne Edgely Social Media – one of the leading social media managers in Cumbria to help small business manage their social media marketing CORRECTLY and EFFECTIVELY without becoming a social media bore!
With 8 joint clients on our Bestof + Social Media Package – read what their clients like here