Yes - it's that time of year again. Whether you're eagerly awaiting the date or can't wait for it to pass, we've hand-picked the very best things for you to do on and around the date in Wimbledon and further afield in London.
Valentine's Day - it's a tricky one.
If you're looking forward to it, you probably have a significant other and are (hopefully) still loved up - aww!
If you're dreading the date, you're not alone - like millions of other singletons around the globe, this date causes severe anxiety and distress. And excessive chocolate eating.
We have mixed opinions about the big V-Day here at The Best of Wimbledon and Merton, so we've compiled a list of things to do for whichever boat you stand in.
A great excuse to eat good food
You might need to cover your eyes to avoid loved-up couples, but let's be honest, at these restaurants your eyes will be fixed on the food.
- Cannizaro House This is a popular choice for couples looking for a guaranteed delicious meal, so you’ll have to get in early to secure your table. They’re offering a Valentine’s set menu for £65 per person, which you can view here.
- Hot Pink Situated on the Broadway, Hot Pink offers healthy grilled food, which, by the way, tastes INCREDIBLE. They don’t have a Valentine’s Day menu, but let’s face it, their standard menu is fit for any occasion http://bit.ly/1umYeM5
- Bill’s If you’re looking for somewhere a bit less formal but super-friendly, Bill’s comes highly recommended. Not only will the menu have you stuck for choice, but their drinks are sure to get your fired up for the rest of the evening. View their menus here http://bit.ly/1C24FVD
An excuse to get tipsy, the date does fall on a Saturday after all!
Most loved-up couples will probably be stuffing their faces, so you can stroll into a bar and get merry before the stampede of couples waddle in post-meal. By then, you won’t care about the kissing and groping (ergh).
- The Terrace If cocktails are your thing – look no further. The Terrace has a HUGE cocktails menu for you to feast your eyes on http://bit.ly/1yEXzqM
- All Bar One With an extensive wine library and cocktails menu to boot, All Bar One has all your Valentine’s Day heart may desire http://bit.ly/1yDA12l
- The Dog and Fox More of a pub lover? The Dog and Fox in Wimbledon Village is always a popular choice, being right next to the Common and the romance of the village. Perfect for the ale lovers http://bit.ly/1Cwpt5u
So maybe you’ve already eaten, had a few drinks, or just fancy something less obvious? There’s plenty more to occupy yourself with on Valentine’s Day...
- The Wimbledon Odeon and HMV Curzon Sitting in a pitch black room where talking is frowned upon – sounds like our perfect Valentine’s Day! Just kidding). In all seriousness, there’s a great choice of films out at the moment. Why not get some popcorn and sit back and relax?
- Romantic Walks We often forget how beautiful our borough is – we’re surrounded by lush greenery. Whether it’s the Common or Richmond Park, why not go for a stroll to work up an appetite? It’s free, too!
- Venture to Central London There are really no limits to what you can do in central London. See the views from the London Eye, climb up the Shard, walk along the buzzing embankment, visit one of the many beautiful museums (we’re particularly interested in the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition http://bit.ly/1gxqe6Y) or, dare we say it, go shopping! It’s probably a fairly quiet evening to go shopping, right?
Whatever you choose to do, our advice would be to enjoy yourselves and don’t expect too much – that way, you’re more likely to be impressed. If things don’t go to plan, don’t stress. There’s always next year!
Here’s your final piece of advice – don’t forget the flowers! You can thank us later.
The Best of Wimbledon and Merton helps to bring all the best local information to all local residents and businesses throughout Wimbledon and Merton. We also bring trusted businesses and the community...