Now that we’re entering September the stalls at Wimbledon Farmer’s Market are brimming with courgettes, tomatoes and summer squash. Soon the strawberries and raspberries will be replaced by baskets of apples, pears, plums and damsons – surely the best bit of harvest time?
Game season is only round the corner too, meaning that as the weather turns we can be comforted with thoughts of pheasant, partridge and - if we’re lucky – venison.
Wimbledon might be teetering on the edge of London, but a walk around Wimbledon Farmer’s Market is a reminder of how close we really are to The Great Outdoors. The produce is so fresh that, with a bag full of goodies, it’s so easy to detach ourselves from the hustle and bustle of the city!
Why not put those delicious blackberries you’ve picked up from the market (or better yet, foraged yourself!) to good use in this Blackberry and Apple Crumble Cake?
Blackberry and Apple Crumble Cake
- 225g softened butter
- 225g castor sugar
- 4 beaten eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2 peeled and cored Bramley apples
- 225g blackberries
For the Crumble Topping
- 90g plain flour
- 40g butter
- 40g demerara sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C and grease and line a 23cm spring-form cake tin
2. Cream the butter and sugar until pale
3. Gradually add the beaten eggs, then fold in the flour, ground almonds and baking powder
4. Transfer to the cake tin and arrange the apples on top. Scatter with the blackberries
5. Top with the crumble mix and bake for 50 minutes.
Member since: 10th July 2012
The Best of Wimbledon and Merton helps to bring all the best local information to all local residents and businesses throughout Wimbledon and Merton. We also bring trusted businesses and the community...