Listen, we love fireworks and bonfires. They really are spectacular and the memories will live on forever, but it's a serious event and people (and houses) can get seriously hurt and damaged. We've whittled down the most important and helpful information you need to know before you hold your own display.
A sparkler reaches temperatures of up to 2,000°C - over 15 times the boiling point of water and should be handled with care.
Might sound obvious, but think about it. Do you really NEED a bonfire? It's much better to manage without one. If you feel that you MUST have one, follow these points:
We don't like to be party poopers, but this is serious stuff. Do you really want to risk burning yourself, others and possible your house for the sake of a few beers? People drink at 90% of fireworks parties and 84% said people setting off fireworks had drunk 2-3 units of alcohol. This increases the risk of injury and makes adults less able to supervise children properly during the display.
Generally, pets hate bangs, flashes and loud noises. They can get very distressed, anxious and frightened on fireworks night, so always keep your furry (and non-furry) friends indoors and close the curtains to make things calmer. Remember it's not just your own fireworks that can cause distress, so keep your pets calm and indoors during the fireworks "season".
Burn and safety advice
Member since: 10th July 2012
The Best of Wimbledon and Merton helps to bring all the best local information to all local residents and businesses throughout Wimbledon and Merton. We also bring trusted businesses and the community...