Whitening is big business these days leading to a number of products that promise to whiten your teeth, sometimes even coming with a guide to show you how much things have improved.
They all look very impressive but sadly they do not work other than removing surface staining from your teeth.
Only a dentist can diagnose the cause of your tooth discolouration, see that whitening will work, and prescribe bona fide tooth whitening that will work every time.
On average this takes within 4-6 weeks of whitening and will last indefinitely with some very simple maintenance once a month.
What causes discoloured teeth?
Diet and lifestyle can cause teeth to become discoloured with the main culprits being:
- Black coffee
- Red wine
But we know that whitening even whitens teeth that are naturally more yellow.
How do you whiten teeth?
Over the year’s teeth soak up the stains from tea, coffee, smoking etc. This process is gradual and can take many years to discolour the teeth beyond an acceptable limit.
The whitening is accomplished by wearing whitening trays in 2-8 hour stints. Whitening trays fit like a glove and are comfortable and easy to wear.
They are similar to very thin gum shields. If you can wear them
through the night, the colour change will occur more quickly as the gel is in contact with your teeth for longer.
What are the benefits?
- A cleaner, fresher looking smile!!......not worrying about how your smile looks is a great boon in social situations. Who wants to worry about how their smile looks when they are meeting people?
- Dental professionals have noticed that patients who’ve had their teeth whitened tend to show an improvement in their oral health care routine.
- Looking more youthful – we associate white teeth with youth, as the older we get, the more our teeth have been exposed to foods and drinks which can stain our teeth.
- Camera ready – whatever the occasion, a wedding or you simply like taking selfies making the teeth a few shades whiter can help a person to feel camera ready.
- Affordable – teeth whitening is an affordable procedure which produces great results without harming your teeth.
Due to the way they educate our clients once you’ve whitened with Spires Dental Clinic you’ll never need to pay for whitening again, merely buying the odd tube of gel every now and then.
Member since: 10th July 2012
I am passionate about 'Buying Local' and supporting our local businesses to 'keep the pound' in town, to help grow our economy here in Lichfield.
We have a wealth of history an eclectic mix of independent...