Start Smart – aims to raise awareness about healthy eating and the importance of childhood nutrition in the city by working with Leicester local authority to reach the families that need it most.
The project will consist of one full week of activity, starting on March 17, throughout which it will:
• Deliver over 1,500 free breakfasts to children under five in children's centres and nurseries throughout Leicester, focusing on areas that receive free places
• Offer free ‘guided shop’ sessions to families with a nutritionist at Leicester City Market and a local ASDA store, with advice on meal planning, budgeting and low-cost recipes
• Let’s Get Cooking sessions in schools and children’s centres, offering cookery demonstrations and lessons to children and families
• Give Start Smart Starter Kits to families that are taking part in the initiatives run by the project, including a milk pan, wooden spoon, oats, recipe cards, ‘grow your own’ tomato plants
• Offering, with Let’s Get Cooking, taster cooking skills sessions to volunteers at a local Food Bank, to enable them to offer advice to food parcel recipients about how to make the most of their food
• Renovate a mobile kitchen to provide a long-term asset for the city to offer healthy cookery lessons and advice in hard to reach areas
Start Smart aims to show that by national organisations, business and government working together, a sustainable impact can be made on childhood health, to fight obesity and tackle poor nutrition. The ambition is to roll this out throughout the country.
For More information contact Nicole.Green@sevenhillsgroup.co.uk