HENLEY GOOD NEIGHBOURS GROUP LAUNCHES
TO PROVIDE A HELPING HAND
Henley Good Neighbours, an exciting, new local community service, is now available in Henley, offering help and support to isolated, older people living in the town. The new group consists of a team of volunteers who are ready and willing to offer their help. The service has been set up by Liz Smith, a Henley resident, with first hand experience of helping older people who live at home but who need a hand with shopping and travel and who often need a little extra companionship.
Henley Good Neighbours will help older people in the town with:
• Occasional support with shopping, light reading, minor household tasks, light gardening
• Regular befriending – a volunteer will visit a person at home for a chat and to see how the person is and will build a relationship with their friend through regular contact
• Transport to attend appointments, e.g. at a doctor’s surgery, optician etc.
Liz Smith said: “I decided to set up Henley Good Neighbours after my own experience of helping an elderly neighbour highlighted how enriching the relationship was for both my neighbour and me. I’m really determined to make a difference to local, isolated, older people in the town, who need a helping hand. I’m delighted to have 24 volunteers on board already and I’m keen to recruit more good neighbours who are able to offer companionship or who can provide some help and support.”
Henley Good Neighbours is being supported by Oxfordshire County Council, Henley Town Council, Thames Valley Police, Henley Volunteer Bureau and Churches Together. All volunteers will be CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) checked before they commence work.
• If you are an older resident in Henley and would like to find out more about Henley Good Neighbours call 01491 572923 or email email@example.com
• If you know someone who you think would benefit from Henley Good Neighbours and its befriending service you can make contact on their behalf via the telephone number or email address above
• If you would like to volunteer please call or email Liz, using the same contact details above
Member since: 9th July 2012
Hi, We are Phil and Gill Chappell. We own the Best of Henley-on-Thames. We live in Henley so would love to hear your views and opinions about all things Henley.